Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Thought 1


Los Angeles has, for at least the past five or six years, been a dream of mine. I think I've rationalized not going to LA in different ways in the recent past. I've used excuses like it being too far away or too expensive. I've changed what I think is my life goal (making films) to editing TV commercials or working with small business, or joining a media team for a church. Those are good options in general. They are not my dream, however.
I remember after my softmore year at Columbia, I was visiting with my production I teacher before the start of the Fall '04 semester. She asked me what I wanted to do with my career (Production I is kind of a milestone... if you make it past that class and you still want to work on films, you are in good shape) and I answered that I wanted to edit Hollywood films. Bluntly, she asked, "Why aren't you in Hollywood?"
I couldn't answer that. If that was my dream, why wasn't I pursuing it?
I remember it scared me when I couldn't answer it... I didn't know why I was in Chicago.
I think a lot happened in Chicago that is essential to who I am now.
I also think the education I received and lessons learned from being in Chicago have affected me. Growth.
Now, it's time to move on.
Chicago : Los Angeles


No comments: