Monday, August 06, 2007

2 Weeks

I met a girl named Abi. She's 28 and starting a five year graduate school program at Wheaton. She's going to be a psychologist. I also met a guy named Norm. He's 52 and has been working with video since before I was born. Norm's been a pastor, video editor and a systems analyst for University of Nebraska - Lincoln. They were pretty much my older sister and brother for the last two weeks. I had some good times with them as we volunteered for the Media Team at the National Youth Gathering (for the Lutheran Church) in Orlando, Florida. One night, we all went out for some drinks at the hotel bar. We sat and talked and laughed for almost five hours.
I told Abi that it seems that I may have missed the 'boat' when I didn't land a wife in college. We talked about how hard it is to meet people on your own time. She said this to me:

"Collin, that's not your path. Look at Todd and Kelly --- both just graduated college; Todd's going to seminary; Kelly is teaching first grade: They are so.... (she gestures with her hands)... perfect and normal. That's not your path. God has a different idea in mind for you."

Abi is probably the coolest girl I've met in a while. Back in June when I first met her, she was rather intimidating. Her personality is strong and she has quick wit. I think she thought of me as more an adult than a college kid. I like that.

Norm was my roommate for the 9 days I stayed in Orlando. Norm is married with a 13 year-old son. He is meticulous in all his work -- probably to the detriment of a deadline driven 'bottom line'. We'd talk every night before we went to sleep. It was cool t hear about his life... a lot of it was personal stuff that I don't want to share. But I felt very normal and comfortable around Norm and he gave me lots of respect b/c of my background in video and my career field.

Both Norm and Abi made the 9 days bearable. Without them... it would have been tough.
I wasn't getting paid but there were tight deadlines and long hours. On average, I went to bed at 2am and got up at 8:30. I'd break for dinner for an hour -- but that was my only break. But I learned lots of positive things thru my experience:

1. I can stay in a room and edit all day for several days in a row and do nothing but work. Before the Gathering, I didn't know if I 'had it in me'.
2. A hierarchy is important to getting things done. Without it, there is an uneven workload and time is wasted.
3. I actually felt comfortable editing -- like I knew what I was doing. I also lacked that confidence going into the Gathering. For each project I worked on, I had a method and reason to all my work. I completed the work in a short amount of time and it was quality. That gives me confidence that I am doing something right.

I'd consider working for the Gathering again -- I'd be much more inclined to do it if there were some sort of pay involved. Under usual circumstances I could not afford to take 7 work days off in a row. However, the people I've met made an impact on my life and if the Gathering is the only way I can be with them again -- I may not require compensation.
------------------------------------

The other side of the 2 Weeks is my employment status. In two more weeks, I'll be officually unemployed.

Josh ' "There is no reason that in two weeks you can't have the job you want."

That's encouraging. But just as when I waited for a job last September, I can't help but be a little anxious. i sent my resume to a Post House in Santa Monica that was looking for an assistant editor/editor type. it paid $20/hour and they claim to work on indie films. That job would be sweet. And there is also the possibility of a Post PA job on a feature film thru Josh's connection with the Will Ferrel/Adam McKay editing crew. Here is how that stuff breaks down:

Post PA (non guild) $650/week
Post PA / Apprentice (guild member) $1,050/week
Assistant Editor (guild member) $2,000/week

(all salaries are minimum payment)

Josh seems to think I can do it -- please pray he is right.

I may be able to join a crew as a Post PA and then after that job move in to an apprenticeship. Or some other job could come into play. It should be pretty exciting in the mean time.
\
-C

No comments: