Saturday, October 28, 2006

Divine

I just ate at good stuff... had a california wrap with a banana smoothie and french fries... yummy. California wrap has turkey, bacon, avacado, lettuse, tomatoe, on a spinach tortilla. So good. And, the smoothie is no juice stop, but it's darn good.
Earlier today, I was reading Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard, and I came to an unexpected section where Willard begins to discuss, in detail, some of what Jesus said at the 'Sermon on the Mount'. He was talking about the 'old law' compared to the Kingdom Law (the new era of life that Jesus proclaimed while on earth). For example, he discussed the old law of 'do not kill'. The heart of this is, of course, anger, if indulged, can lead to bad, evil, destructive things. This way of looking at 'do not kill' is the Kingdom Law. He talked a lot about anger and how it works in us, and how it leads to contempt, and how contempt refuels anger, and then, it can lead to malice towards another person.
The whole section really brought a lot of my life to mind... rather made my actions more clear to me. I realized that I've often indulged anger, and I have held contempt and even malice toward other people. It was a powerful chapter to point out many reasons why I get angry the way I do, and point out how our culture embraces anger.
I'm glad I read the chapter and better understand Jesus' sermon on the mount. I highly recommend the book if you want to better understand the sermon, and Jesus' ministry.

-C

No comments: