Thursday, September 14, 2006

Jobs

So, today has been interesting.

First, let me give some context. I moved to Los Angeles on Monday (after actually running out of gas in Utah due to lack of gas stations for a 200 mile stretch (with no signs)). I had two interviews on Wednesday: 1 at a small management company called Management 101. I really loved the guy who conducted my interview... he's really cool. Then I went on to visit Whitehouse Post. There, I had a good time and chatted with some cool producers.

Whitehouse told me to call them if I had anything come up elsewhere. So, sure enough, later that afternoon, I get a call from Jay at Management 101.
Jay-"Hey Collin, I've got some great news!"
Me - "What's up?"
Jay- "I'm offering you the internship!"
Me - "Wow, that's great, I have a few questions about some stuff..."

I had to tell him that I had another option on the table from Whitehouse... although that was mostly wishful thinking. But now I certainly had a job offer (an unpaid, full time, four month internship). So, I told Jay that I had to figure some stuff out with a Post House before I could give him an answer.

Next, I called up Whitehouse (while Josh and I were stuck in rush hour traffic in Santa Monica) and told them I had an offer. They politely told me they'd call me back in the morning. Cool. So, I wait. And wait.
Nothing happens.

Finally as Josh and I are trying to prepare a budget, my phone rings. Whitehouse wants me to come in for an interview with the Executive Producer and one of the Partners.
Instantly, I'm thinking they're going to hire me. I'm going to chat with them for a while, give them affirmation they're making the right decision, then they'll shake my hand and say "Welcome to the company!" and then they'll introduce me to everyone.

All that happened, except for the stuff including and after the hand shake. I just chatted with them for 35 minutes, and then left. A litle crushing, but I'm grateful for the opportunity. I hope they'll call back soon.

In the mean time, I've already declined the management company offer. I just have a feeling that Whitehouse will work out.

And that brings me to something else. While I was in Turkey, just before I wrote my e-mail to Jen at Whitehouse Chicago, I had this feeling in my chest that everything would work out with Whitehouse. It was this extreme peace and satisfaction. Was God promising me a position at Whitehouse? My first response was no b/c Jen replied to my e-mail by saying they didn't have anything for me.
I was crushed. And that little bit of a downer carried all the way over until I got the phone call this afternoon for the real interview with the EP an Partner. God promised that's I'd get a job at Whitehouse, i think, and that promise has carried all through my ups and downs, my faith in that promise and my rejection of that promise. Right now, I'm on an up, a high. I feel that when they call back next, they will have a job for me.
If not, maybe Whitehouse London or New York. I obviously am not able to see God's larger plan. I had no idea three months ago that I'd be in LA right now writing this e-mail about how everything is about to go down with Whitehouse LA. What a journey. What a ride.

1 comment:

katie said...

This is some pretty exciting stuff, Collin. Definitely keep me updated. I'm praying for you.