Monday, February 23, 2009

The Cornea Heals

THE EYE

Today is my fourth week after surgery... and I must say I've been very impressed with how it's healed.



Almost all the swelling is gone and there is virtually no pain anymore. The only special treatments I maintain are using the steroid drop four times a day and the moisturizing drop about once an hour. If I rub it or graze it with my hand it does feel a little sensitive, but that's no big deal. I feel more comfortable showering (b/c I'm not worried about water or soap getting in there) and sleeping (because I no longer have to wear the eye cover). All in all, it's going very well. I see the doctor on March 5th, so I'll give an update as to what my vision is at that point. I'm guessing I'll be seeing around 20/40 or even 20/30.

JOB NEWS

My new vision will come in handy when I begin working a weekend job for MTV. My friend, Douglas Hunter(and here), offered me a night time position as an assistant editor (!) on Dogg After Dark. Assistant Editor. I'm pretty psyched. I'm not sure how I'll stay awake or how long into the night I'll actually have to work, but those unknowns don't syphon my eagerness to work. I'm hoping to log a few hours this week on an Avid (editing system) so I can walk onto the job as prepared as possible.

I'm not terribly excited about the content of the show (obviously it'd be cool if this was for "In Treatment"). It's not exactly a show that has mass appeal or (any?) artistic value. As an assistant editor, however, it wouldn't matter if I was working on Dogg After Dark or Lost... my job would be the same. I'm just excited for the opportunity.

-- More on Douglas Hunter --

Back in the summer of 2007, we met while I was getting a tour of the "In Treatment" post production facilities. My friend from Flyer (Jenny Towner) introduced me to both of the Post Production Supervisors, Douglas being one. We sat in his office and he asked me if I'd like to edit a short documentary he was directing. I jumped at the opportunity (mostly b/c he was a post soup for an HBO show) and began spending some free time on the project. Every few weeks Douglas would come by and we'd discuss the movie. It was a fun process, even if I was a little overwhelmed. I stopped working on the film at the very end of 2007 / beginning of 2008. Douglas edited it the rest of the way and produced a finished movie just a few months ago.

I went to a screening (the first in front of an audience) at an Episcopal church in Pasadena. There were probably 200 people there (as well as the priest who was featured in the film). The film was warmly received and I was even listed as the editor on the end credits. He did a great job of crafting a gentle yet thought-provoking story. Kudos to Douglas. If you are interested in the content of the film, please click on this link (to a front-page LA Times story).

No comments: