Friday, November 16, 2007

New Life

I loved working on the documentary...
I learned a lot about editing and what it takes to tackle a big project from an editing standpoint. Blood Equity also gave me flexibility to, among other things, start a side project (a short documentary shot on film), work on several projects through Mosaic (most recently "Apartment B" through Awaken Films), host one of my better friends (Cole) on his deciding journey to move to Los Angeles, and even start a new relationship (Rachel).
The flexibility may come back to hurt me around tax time (I was paid out of pocket with personal checks) and around the 1st of the month (apparently I drove a lot {see two separate car repairs totaling $1,600}, used my eyes a lot {see health costs to cover my eyes totaling over $2,300} and talked a lot {see cell phone overages of over $500}... it hurts sometimes to have daytime freedom).

Recently I landed a new job in the exciting world of commercial production. I work at Great Guns USA (they have offices all over the world). Each office represents a different group of directors and tries to get them work (directing tv commercials) based upon work they've already done. When Great Guns wants to submit a director for a job, they have two options for doing so: 1. Send a DVD of the specific director's work (a reel) or 2. email an online link where a possible client can view the work on a website. Both of those tasks involve me. I'm either making a dvd or posting spots on a website for someone to view... that's literally all i do. Well, not really, i have time to write this blog and eat lunch and all that good stuff... but the work is pretty consistantly constant. Right now I'm burning DVDs and exporting new spots for the website... each of those takes time, and during that time my computer it tied up from a processing standpoint. Thus, here i am.

But this new job brings me new life. Aside from being a legitimate job, there will be the possibility down the road for me to edit commercials and or edit 'director's cuts' of previously made commercials. A director's cut may take a 30 second spot and expand the story to 60 or 90 seconds. Usually they are very well done and would be a valuable asset to my own editor's reel. Commercial editing is essentially glorified short film editing. It is, for the most part, transferable to longer formats of editing... be it music videos, tv shows or feature films. For that reason alone, this job is cool.

But there's more: Produciton teams will often do preproduction for commercials here at our office (if they are headed by Great Guns directors, that is...) I've been able to mingle with production coordinators and production managers as well as directors. I also have free access to a stocked kitchen and free lunch at any restaurant of my choosing. It's a good job with some good people.

It's 5:30 and my job here is done. I'll update as necessary...

I hope all is well in your lives -- and i'm keeping Katie Schwyhart in my thoughts and prayers as she preps for some surgery.

-Collin

No comments: