Sunday, June 17, 2007

Do you ever have an injury that won't heal? My ankle has been bummin' for the past month or so and it doesn't seem to be fully healing. Just when it starts to feel good I tweak it again and I move backwards a couple of days in the healing process. It's like, 'Yeah, it hurts, but it doesn't hurt enough to go to the doctor, and it doesn't feel good enough to be able to do normal activities'. I think it's slowly getting better but I'm getting a little impatient.

There are some things in my life right now that seem to mirror my obvious physical defect: I just quit my job and left behind some really great people. It sucks to even think about them because I get sad. I mean, I'm not going to cry over it but it's not something I want to think about all the time either. The point is it kinda hurts. I spent 40-55 hours a week with those people for the past 9 months...

But just as with my ankle, life keeps on moving. I don't really have time to stop and think about how much I'll miss the Flyer gang. There may be times every once in a while where I tweak a memory of Flyer and it brings back pain. But I know that I will slowly heal and adjust.

Sometimes I wonder, though...
Would my ankle heal faster if I didn't walk on it for a week? What if I got crutches and made a dedicated effort to not use it for one week? I bet it would heal fast! Of course, I'm too proud to go to the doctor and get crutches. Maybe more important than my ankle is my heart and soul: What if I took a day and just really appreciated the people I'll be missing at Flyer. I could send them each cards and 'thank you' notes for all the help they've given me. I'm sure that would give me a much greater sense of closure and confidence as I move forward. And just as with my ankle, I would heal and move on much faster if I'd let the pain take me off my feet.

I think life is moving , though. Right now I don't have time to take a week off my feet or a day to write cards to people at Flyer. I'm moving in a positive direction for my career and that's great. I hope there's time in the future where I can appreciate everyone I've met and take some time off my feet to let old injuries heal. Where's the balance?

-C

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is so true, Collin, and a great parallel thought.